Sponsored Satellite Program: Sustainable Diets: Healthy Diets from Sustainable Food Systems. What Does it Mean & How Do We Accomplish It?
Sponsored By: DSM, General Mills, Nestlé R&D, PepsiCo
The topic of sustainable diets has been gaining popularity, and for good reason. Data suggests that the current approaches to growing our food supply may deplete the very natural resources necessary to continue to produce these foods. Beyond the importance of environmental impact, we also need to consider the impact of foods and diets to human health. In order to continue to not only feed but nourish a growing world population, researchers, policy makers, industry & beyond need to work jointly to help solve this complex problem.
This cross-sector session will provide an overview of sustainable diets with emphasis on the healthfulness of our food supply. The session will also include a robust Q&A with opportunity for the audience to engage on this complex topic. Key areas that will be reviewed include:
- An introduction to sustainable diets - nutritious food from sustainable food systems, including the importance of nutrition when discussing sustainability.
- An overview of government’s role in sustainable food systems, including an introduction what the USDA is doing in this space.
- An overview of industry’s role in sustainable food systems, including opportunities and challenges.
- Examples of individual approaches from the food industry how it is providing solutions to help address the multiple opportunities and challenges of sustainable diets.
This Sponsored Satellite Program was presented at NUTRITION 2020 LIVE ONLINE.
- Describe the definitions of sustainable diets and sustainable food systems, including the importance of including nutrition
- Discuss the role of government in sustainable food systems and what the USDA is working towards
- Recognize the unique role food industry plays, including the opportunities and challenges
- Appreciate distinct viewpoints on sustainable diets from various sectors of academia and the food industry
This Sponsored Satellite Program includes the following presentations:
- Healthy Diets from Sustainable Food Systems
- The Role of Federal Government Nutrition Research in a Sustainable Food System
- Food and Nature
- Industry Perspectives 1
- Industry Perspectives 2
- Industry Perspectives 3
- Industry Perspectives 4
- Panel Discussion
Chair: Adam Drewnowski, PhD – University of Washington
Speaker: John Finley, PhD – U.S. Department of Agriculture
Speaker: Adam Drewnowski, PhD – University of Washington
Speaker: Emeline Fellus, Masters – World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD)
- 1.50 Attendance
Learners are eligible to download a Certificate of Attendance upon activity completion. A Certificate of Attendance confirms the learner has completed the activity and does not confer any continuing education credit to the learner from ASN.