Sponsored Satellite Program: Next Level Health Solutions: The Magic of the Matrix
Sponsored By: National Dairy Council
This activity was originally presented at NUTRITION 2022 LIVE ONLINE.
More and more, scientific evidence is revealing that the food matrix – the interaction between the nutrients, bioactive components, and physical structure of a food - can impact health in significant and unexpected ways beyond its individual nutrients. This evolution in the understanding of nutrition research is arising as key authoritative agencies reevaluate the definition of healthy foods and dietary patterns. This program will explore the emerging research surrounding the relationship between the food matrix and health, with a particular focus on the dairy food matrix and its bioactive components. In particular, the complex role of the food matrix on physiologic health markers, such as cardiometabolic disease risk, inflammation, immunity and the gut microbiome will be discussed. To conclude, gaps in knowledge needed to improve scientific understanding of the complex and synergistic health effects of the food matrix and the current generalizations defining a healthy food will be critically evaluated.
- Describe the concept of the food matrix and provide examples of the food matrix’s unexpected impact on nutrient bioavailability & health outcomes (i.e., carrot & almond matrix)
- Discuss emerging evidence that has reported matrix-specific health effects of dairy products and plausible biological mechanisms via bioactive constituents that impact health
- Evaluate knowledge gaps surrounding the emerging concept of the food matrix as well as potential implications of the new FDA Healthy claim on different foods and food groups
This Sponsored Satellite Program includes the following presentations:
- Looking Beyond the Nutrition Facts Label: The Case for the Food Matrix
- Research Supporting Dairy Matrix Effects on Health Outcomes
- Applying the Science: The Role of the Matrix on Precision Medicine
- Panel Discussion
Chair: Allison L. Unger, PhD – Director, Scientific Affairs, National Dairy Council
Co-Chair: Dana Engel Gerstein, MPH, RD – Director Regulatory Affairs, National Dairy Council
Speaker: Hannah D. Holscher, PhD, RD – Associate Professor, Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Speaker: Emma L. Feeney, PhD – Lecturer/Assistant Professor, School of Agriculture and Food Science, University College Dublin
Speaker: Arne Vernon Astrup, MD, DMSc – Senior Project Director - HWC / Senior Vice President - Obesity and Nutrition Science, Healthy Weight Center, Novo Nordisk Foundation
Moderator: Moises Torres-Gonzalez, PhD. – Vice President, Nutrition Research, National Dairy Council
Panelist: Hari Meletharayil, PhD – VP Product Research, National Dairy Council
- 1.50 Attendance
Learners are eligible to download a Certificate of Attendance upon activity completion. A Certificate of Attendance confirms the learner has completed the activity and does not confer any continuing education credit to the learner from ASN.